Our story
A bequest, and the school it built
George Watson left his estate to the Merchant Company of Edinburgh to found a school. It opened in 1741 and has been teaching in the city ever since.
This shop exists to put that history on something wearable. Every piece carries the crest granted to his family, and the colours are drawn from the buildings and hills the school has stood among for close to three centuries.
The long version
Dates drawn from the school archive.
-
1723
A merchant's bequest
George Watson, accountant to the Bank of Scotland, leaves his estate to the Merchant Company of Edinburgh to found a school.
-
1741
The school opens
George Watson's Hospital admits its first pupils in Lauriston, funded entirely by the bequest.
-
1871
Colinton Road
The school moves to the sandstone buildings it still occupies, on the south side of the city.
-
1974
One school
George Watson's Boys' College and the Ladies College come together as a single co-educational school.
-
Today
Preschool to S6
Two campuses, one crest, and a community of pupils, parents, staff and Watsonians across the world.
Our motto
Ex Corde Caritas
Love from the heart
The crest carries George Watson's own arms, granted in 1739: an oak tree, three merchant's coins on a wavy blue band, and a flaming heart above the shield. Two years later his bequest opened the school. Watsonians have worn the crest ever since.